Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Progress: Some Success So Far


Well our garden has really started to take off! I am really surprised at some of our success. There are a few things that are doing really well that I did not expect to do well. However, we do have some seeds which have failed dismally to sprout. Mainly, the peppers and the marigolds. I am quite surprised that the four packs of marigold seeds I planted in various places have not sprouted, others in this area seem to be able to grow them easily. The peppers not coming up is not as surprising to me, they were some of the window box plants that got too dry and died. If we need to, we will get more seeds or pick up some more plants. I really do want to have peppers in the garden, if they grow they are supposed to do very well in this area. 

Here are some pictures of our little seedlings, I love going outside each day and seeing new ones. It makes me feel like I am not a total failure after all! 

By the door we have cilantro (mixed with a lot of weeds) and a LOT of zinnias! 
Cilantro (transplant on bottom, seedlings above) and weeds
Zinnia sprouts
Day lilies
The transplanted day lilies are doing better every day. Once they got over the shock of being transplanted and started getting a little more water, they started looking much more healthy. 
The transplanted amaryllis is doing well, we had several blooms which are now starting to die. 
Amaryllis
The rosebush is just thriving and producing a lot of blooms. I am so happy that it is doing well. Seeing those flowers every day is great.

The spinach is taking off as well... 

American spinach
I think the radishes are doing the best. 
Radishes
These are my pinto bush beans that I planted less about a week ago that are already sprouting! I will have to get that trellis up soon!
Pinto beans sprouting! 
This picture of by beet sprouts makes it a little hard to see them. The beet seeds I planted are a mix. Detroit dark red, Burpee's golden, Chioggia, Bull's Blood, Albino, and Clylindras. 
Beet sprouts
The squash I am SO excited about - I LOVE love love to eat squash. I hope these plants do really well! 
Squash, YAY! 
The carrots are doing well, this was another mixture. There are Scarlet Nantes, Jaune du Daubs, Lunar White, and Dragon carrots. 
Carrots
The sunflowers are growing well, I am really excited to have these in the garden because they will be so cheery! 
Sunflower sprouts. I planted these next to cucumber seed so that the cucumbers can grow up the stalks. 
I planted some wildflowers next to the bean plants and they are growing. I hope all the flowers that I planted do well. It will attract bees and butterflies. 

The tomato and pepper transplants are doing very well. I think the tomatoes are what I am most excited about in this whole garden because I love tomatoes even more than I love squash! My husband doesn't, but I am going to feed some to my daughter and hopefully she will like them! :-) These precious kittens love to be outside. 

Kaante and Mr. Mistoffelees next to the tomatoes

 So there it is! My garden :-) I hope that everything continues to thrive. We should have some compost ready soon to spread onto the garden. The sand is not the best for growing vegetables. But they are growing nevertheless!
































No comments:

Post a Comment